Thursday, November 12, 2009

New Drawings!


"Drawn By The Hand Of"

Each of these drawings was made without brush or pen. Using rubber gloves I made from the casts of other people's hands, I dip the fingers of my gloved hand in ink and apply it directly to the paper to create the images. For certain images, I use my own ungloved hand. Each glove, with its unique shape and fingerprints, is conceptually related to the image it has created: e.g., Michael Jackson drawn by the hand of a young boy, Philip Garrido drawn by the hand of a young girl, etc.  It is also a way to to physically embody someone familiar to me and experience the touch of their hand from the inside.


Drawing glove cast from the hand of a young boy, my son Max.

 
Putting the glove on.

 


 
Drawing.

 

 
Pile of used drawing gloves.


The result of drawing without a glove.


No comments:

Post a Comment